Biloxi Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you suffer injury in a motorcycle accident or motorcycle wreck resulting from someone else’s negligence, a skilled Biloxi motorcycle accident lawyer from Van Cleave Law can help you seek reimbursement. Our team delves deep to uncover the root cause of your accident. Was the other driver drunk? Did your bike malfunction? Did you hit a pothole? Once we determine who is at fault, our personal injury lawyers can take the necessary actions to initiate your claim for compensation. Our office is located in Biloxi, and we are proud to serve Gulfport, Jackson, Laurel, and all of Mississippi.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
In most accidents that involve motorcycles, the collision occurs between the motorcycle and another automobile. Factors that may lead to an auto accident, such as distraction, fatigue and inclement weather, can create even greater hazards for motorcyclists. Furthermore, in comparison to other vehicles, motorcycles are much more likely to crash due to the following negligence-related factors which may warrant contact with a Biloxi motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Lack of visibility — Truck and car drivers who fail to responsibly monitor mirrors and blind spots often remain unaware of a nearby motorcycle.
- Speeding — Motorcycles can reach much higher velocities than other vehicles. Yet driving a motorcycle — or any vehicle — in excess of the speed limit greatly minimizes reaction times and increases the risk of accident.
- Road conditions — Poorly maintained roads seriously affect motorcyclists. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), road debris, uneven pavement and fluid spills play a role in 26 percent of fatal motorcycle accidents. Recovering from injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash may require expensive lifelong treatment. However, if someone else is at fault — the other driver, the bike manufacturer or the local municipality, for example — you may be able to receive compensation.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Riding a motorcycle may provide a thrilling and freeing experience, but it is also fraught with inherent dangers. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the fatality rate of motorbike accidents is more than quintuple that of motor vehicle accidents. The rate in Mississippi alone is among the highest of all states, with 10 or more fatalities occurring per 10,000 registered motor vehicles. Following are severe injuries riders commonly suffer in motorcycle accidents that a Biloxi motorcycle accident attorney may be able to assist with:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) — TBI may cause lifelong disability. Even if a rider is wearing a helmet, a hard enough impact may still cause a TBI.
- Road rash — Road rash is a type of skin burn injury created by friction between a rider and the pavement. When a motorcyclist is thrown suddenly from the vehicle, sliding along the pavement can result in an injury, sometimes minor, sometimes serious enough to cause disfigurement.
- Spinal cord injuries — Motorcycle riders are fully exposed. While a helmet may protect the head, the back is susceptible to injury. Even a minor collision is capable of causing a serious back injury. Major trauma to the spinal cord may result in partial or complete paralysis.
Motorcycle drivers can operate their bikes at higher speeds than other motorists can, and riding a motorcycle requires special skills. In addition, motorcycles are smaller and lack any protective barrier for riders. As a result of the increased danger, traffic regulations that provide ample protection for car drivers are inadequate for motorcyclists, leaving them more vulnerable to an accident causing serious injury or even death.
Who is Liable?
Proving liability in a motorcycle accident comes down to negligence. Were you speeding? Did you change lanes recklessly? Since Mississippi is a pure contributory negligence state, even if you are partially responsible for your accident, you may still receive some form of reduced compensation. Other parties who may be responsible for your injury include the bike manufacturer, tire company and local government.
Getting Help From a Biloxi Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a motorcycle crash and need to speak with an attorney in Mississippi? We can help. After a serious personal injury, financial loss or insured loss, you need attorneys who know how to present your best case in court. A Biloxi motorcycle accident lawyer from our law firm can begin to evaluate your case today. Contact us at Van Cleave Law to schedule your free initial consultation. We serve Gulfport, Biloxi and all of Mississippi.